1. $520 mn from 294 minutes from Warner Bros’ Barbie (114 minutes) and Universal’s Oppenheimer (180 minutes) is the net global box office collection in three days. Barbie scored over Oppenheimer with a milestone collection of $337 mn compared to $182 mn in the global BO. India is one of the few markets in the world where Chirstpher Nolan’s “father of atomic bomb” movie earned double ($6 mn) that of gorgeous Barbie ($3 mn) in weekend BO earnings.
2. Here’s 52-year-old Christopher Nolan movies in numbers you can read in one breath: 12 films, 11 Academy Awards, brought in $5 bn BO from his directions. This does not include collections from Oppenheimer.
3. Nodwin Gaming, has announced the second season of Battle Grounds Mobile India (BGMI) Masters Series 2023, once again in partnership with Disney-owned Star Sports. BGMI Masters Series Season 2 will kick off on August 4, 2023 with 24 teams. Rooter is the official online streaming platform for BGMI tournaments. Rooter and Reliance Jio have partnered to livestream BGMI tournaments across India.
4. Twitter will change its logo from bluebird to ‘X’ , announced owner Elon Musk. He tweeted that the idea to change the logo to “X” is “to embody the imperfections in us all that make us unique.”
5. Regulation over AI is growing everywhere in the world. Experts have opined that issues are beyond copyright, privacy or disinformation (fake news) as far as AI is concerned. They see parallels between the beginning years of the nuclear age and the dawn of the AI era.
6. Crunchyroll, Sony-owned video streaming anime platform, plans to invest and expand its footprint in the Indian market. The streaming platform plans 40 new series and 200 hours of content by the end of 2023, and made available in Hindi, Telugu and Tamil languages. Currently the anime platform has over 500+ titles. Crunchyroll is a joint venture between two different Sony entities – Sony Pictures Entertainment and Aniplex.
7. Indian cinema got on to the world stage at this year’s Comic Con for Kalki 2898-AD, a sci-fi epic that blends Indian mythology and Star Wars. First Indian film to be showcased at Comic-Con’s Hall H that has launched Hollywood movies from Marvel, Warner Bros./DC and Legendary. Directed by Nag Ashwin starring Prabhas, Kamal Haasan, Amitabh Bachchan, Kalki 2898-AD is produced by C Ashwani Dutt. The film is slated for release in 2024.
8. The Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur has said the government will soon conduct an e-auction of 808 FM radio stations across 284 cities to further increase the footprint of radio communication across the country. The government has also eased the process of obtaining licenses to run radio stations, esp community radio.